I am a wife, mom, and freelance writer based out of small-town Minnesota and this website is where I aim to share fun and entertaining bits of motherhood mixed with real, actionable tips and information. The internet is a crazy place and I want this to be a happy and helpful corner to visit.
Favorite subjects/things I like to talk about:
- Mommy stuff I talk about this stuff the most because I am a mom. And I’m a writer. And those two can’t not mix. Also, my babies are the best babies of all the babies. ;)
- Subscription boxes = Best. Invention. Ever. I mean, seriously. I want them all.
- Easy DIY / How To Projects I’m working on this category because even though most of them suck, I am totally full of ideas. Easy, “don’t need a lot of tools or talent” ideas.
- Cloth diapering Because I feel kinda unique for doing it (although it’s getting more popular every day, yay!), and because it’s not nearly as hard, or as intimidating, as people seem to think.
- Natural living/the environment Nothing extreme, but being healthy is important (for both us and the planet) and I’m a big believer in doing what you can, when you can (and not giving yourself grief over the rest).
- Giving back Because we could all stand to do more of it, and writing about it helps keep it top-of-mind for me.
- Product reviews and recommendations I shop almost exclusively online anymore and lean heavily on the reviews and recommendations of others to help me find good deals and quality products/experiences. So I’m happy to do my part.
I’ve been a freelance writer for the last 11 years and counting, and this website is my newest project. I became a mom later in life (had my babies at 36 and 39) and currently live in small town Minnesota with my hubby and kids, plus three kitties and a couple of stray parakeets that came about from a backyard rescue many years ago. When I’m not busy wifing, momming and writing I enjoy gardening, photography, video games (sometimes I play more than my husband!), indulging my sweet tooth, and daydreaming I’m fashionable.
If you’re interested in writing yourself, or just want to see what else I spend my time on, check out my writing site at RigelCeleste.com.
The name “Holes In Your Socks”
This website has been many things over the years, so the name Holes In Your Socks has had many meanings (originally this blog was very literally going to include a tutorial on how to darn holes in socks) but I’ve found it flows well into my current season of motherhood and this new “mom blog” focus. To me the name “Holes In Your Socks” represents the fact that life isn’t perfect, and that’s okay. We all have imperfections and face challenges along the road of life, but while you should always be striving to better yourself (repair those holes/get new socks) you also shouldn’t let them hold you back from enjoying life to the fullest. Just do your best, treat both yourself and the world with love and acceptance, and don’t sweat the small stuff. Motherhood is hard! But it doesn’t have to be perfect to be wonderful.